January 3, 2012

GERD Food Diary, Day 2: Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Today is my first day back to work after the long holiday weekend.  I feeling anxious as I recall how much effort it requires to juggle healthy eating, exercise, recreation, commuting, household tasks and the workday.  It's so much easier when you don't have a clock looming!  I woke up a few times during the night and took a TUMS around 3:30 AM when I felt slight reflux.   The alarm rang at 5:05 AM and ten minutes later, I felt strong reflux while I was in the kitchen.  My symptoms after breakfast include the wet feeling in my chest, and bloating.   I did some deep breathing and movement after breakfast to relax, which helped.

5:30 AM: Breakfast
1 Wheetabix square
1 C. almond milk (Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla)
1/4 C. crushed walnuts/pecans
1/4 C. raisins
Hot Oolong tea

10:00 AM: Snack
Cold water with Meyer lemon half
1 and a half homemade apple-cinnamon-oat muffins (these are very small in size, about 1/3 C. size)

11:30 AM: Snack
1 clementine
1 square Dagoba dark chocolate


Very busy work day, deadlines: feeling like I cannot take a break.  My back hurts between the shoulder blades and at one point I had lower abdominal pain.   My upper intestines feel bloated all day. 


1:30 PM: Lunch
1 C. vegetable soup (homemade kale, carrot, potato)
1 medium Bosc pear


NOTE:  My meal day is a "disaster" in terms of planning. I forgot I had a morning meeting and an evening event today -- so my initial plan to eat modestly and head home for a bean and grain dinner is up in the air.  Hence, the day of "snacking," just trying to stay satisfied and focused.  The event this evening will include appetizers and light refreshments -- I am not sure what I can eat there!  

3:30 PM: Snack
1 container Au Bon Pain hummus (I did not eat the olives or cucumbers; I do not like the former, and the latter can give me an allergic-like reaction)

I had slight reflux before the hummus; feel ok now.

5:30 PM: "Dinner 1"
I attended an evening reception, and planned to eat mindfully, making this part of my dinner.  I successfully navigated tables full of cheese, crackers, sweets and other party foods by grabbing a tiny plate and providing myself with a proper portion: a few pretzels, a single cube of cheese,  a few almonds, a few spoons of hummus with carrots, a small cluster of green grapes, and -- my indulgence -- two "oil infused" bread crisps.  (In the past, I would have had more cheese, crackers, and more than a few grapes and crisps.  And definitely both kinds of rugelah and a brownie.)

Before leaving, I had a few bites of cinnamon rugelah.   I left pleased with my restraint and relatively happy gut.  (But a little tired from comments about my vegetarian diet. "Would you like this meat on bone?"  "How about shrimp?  What, you don't eat shrimp either?"  I'm not the first veg who's wondered how people cannot equate seafood with animals.  But that didn't bug me as much as the follow up comment, "You're really missing out on life."  I had to swallow my sassy come-back for the sake of courtesy.  Bah!)

7:00 PM:  Banana
On my commute home, I experienced low blood sugar and had a small banana.

8:30 PM: "Dinner 2"
I had planned to have a bowl of soup for my "actual" dinner but when I got home, I was craving something more substantial.   One of my quick go-to dishes is sauteed edamame and green peas.  Just heat up some olive oil in a cast iron pan, toss in the legumes, and cover, cooking til desired softness.   I had 1/2 C. edamame with 1/3 C. peas and a slice of white bread (from the local bakery).

9:30 PM: 1 cup pu-erh tea with a spoon of sugar
I usually drink tea black, but I was in the mood for a small bit of sweetness, and lightly sweet pu-erh is divine indulgence.

I went to bed an hour later, feeling on the road to being mended.  No major gut issues, except for awful bloating and a heavy feeling in my intestines.

No comments:

Post a Comment