January 2, 2012

GERD Food Diary, Day 1: Monday, January 2, 2012


Apple-cinnamon-oat muffins


FOOD DIARY, DAY 1: TIME TO REFLECT, RE-ASSESS

I think I need to monitor my meals and guts closely to get things back on track, and re-assess what does or does not help my resurfacing symptoms.   At my diagnosis of GERD just under a year ago, I experienced a "food in throat" feeling, occasional stomach issues (gnawing pain, feeling of fullness, hunger after meals), a "wet" feeling in my chest, belching throughout the day/night, and heartburn.  I changed my diet, experimented with eating more slowly and smaller meals, and made intestinal health a priority (for me, constipation is definitely linked to my GERD symptoms).  By the fall, most symptoms had been subsiding, though the "food in throat (FIT)" sensation marked most of 2011, off and on.

Now, after the holidays, I am concerned these are returning, particularly the feeling of something wet in my chest -- this, according to my GI doctor, is related to reflux, and was a longtime symptom of mine that had stopped.

Hurrah for food diaries.  This week (Jan 2- 8), I will keep close track of what I am eating, how I am feeling, and my overall gut and intestinal health, and see if clues emerge.  I think a huge benefit of a food diary is how it directly and positively influences your eating habits by immediately making you more mindful of what/how you are consuming.   Perhaps more so, when you blog your diary to the masses!

NOTE: These daily entries will be updated throughout the day, in close to real time.   Also, it may be helpful for anyone following this diary to know I eat a vegetarian/almost vegan diet.  

DAY ONE: MONDAY, JANUARY 2, 2012

Morning summary:  It is a holiday today, so I am looking forward to a day of tidying up the apartment, cooking, reading back issues of  magazines and the Sunday paper.  I am feeling optimistic, ready to be productive.  I woke up at 7:00 AM, much later than usual, but decided to "sleep in" since it's a holiday and I am still recovering from a mild but exhausting cold.  I got out of the bed at 7:15 AM.  I did my weights and stretches.   Mild GERD (some "wet" sensation in chest and food in throat feeling, no heartburn.  My intestines feel heavy, bloated.

8:25 AM: Breakfast
1 Wheetabix square
1 C. Blue Diamond Vanilla Unsweetened almond milk
1/4 C. crushed walnuts
1/4 C. Sunmaid raisins
1/2 C. Red Jacket Orchards apple cider

9:15 AM: 1 C. Hojicha hot tea

11:30 AM:  Ate a few spoonfuls of soup and black beans to taste dishes while cooking.




Carrot, potato and kale soup
Mid-day summary:  I spent a relaxing few hours prepping and cooking food for the week ahead, including black beans, a vegetable soup, and my trademark apple-cinnamon-oat muffins.   My lunch was taken slowly; I am chewing food until liquified, and while I do read while I eat when dining alone, I eat mindfully and enjoy my food.  My symptoms are minimal except for the "food in throat" and heavy chest feeling.  My intestines are functioning okay; I am less bloated, though I still feel somewhat full in my gut.  I am also still belchy.


12:15 PM: Lunch
1/3 C. black-eyed peas and spinach, leftover from yesterday's lunch (quick throw-together I made using canned beans and frozen spinach)
3/4 C. homemade carrot, potato and kale soup (with garlic and onion, a bit of olive oil, no salt/spices)
1/4 C. homemade pear sauce
1/2 apple-cinnamon-oat muffin (freshly made)
1 C. water

1:10 PM: 2 small squares of Ritter dark chocolate

3:30 PM: 1/2 pear

6:00 PM: Dinner
4 spinach and potato pierogi (made at local pierogi factory on my street)
3/4 C. vegetable soup (same as lunch)
2 T. applesauce, unsweetened
1/2 C. mushy peas (canned, low salt)
water

8:00 PM: Dessert
1 C. Breyer's chocolate chip ice cream






No comments:

Post a Comment