September 28, 2011

Glimpse: Greenmarket Dinner


Dinner: black beans, kale, corn on the cob.  Sample of pinto beans from my latest batch.


Wednesday morning and what a positive way to start the middle of the week: a good night's sleep, morning weights and stretches while listening to This American Life on the podcasts, my guts getting back to a less cranky state.   Some food-in-throat feeling and fullness but no cramps or nausea.

I have been failing in my promise to make this blog more eye-catching, so here is a glimpse of our greenmarket-sourced dinner the other night:  black beans (fresh from Cayuga Pure Organics), Russian kale, corn on the cob.  My cob is the small half -- my effort to eat smaller portions.   I also had a small hunk of semolina bread with Earth Balance.


3 comments:

  1. How did you prepare the kale? I try it every once in a while, but I never quite get the results I'm looking for and end up switching back to chard. Nice blog, by the way... thanks for the link!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MCG, kale can be bitter if it's not cooked enough, in my experience. I know some folks eat it raw or lightly cooked, but I need mine steam-sauteed for a good 7 minutes or so. I heat up olive oil in my cast iron pan, add a crushed garlic clove when it heats up, saute until fragrant. Then I add chopped fresh kale. Another trick to kale is be sure you separate the leafy part from the ribs, and use just the leaves -- not ribs/stems. Chop this up, add to the oil/garlic, and cover. I stir often and soon drizzle water into the pan to start "steam-sauteeing." Stir, taste, add water as needed, cover, and so on until the kale wilts and "sweetens" up a bit. I may or may not add salt; just a sprinkle does it.

    Try "dinosaur" kale or "Russian Red" kale for a nice variation. I also like tatsoi -- a leafy green like spinach that's great w/pasta….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a try. The only kale that I've had good luck with in the past was lacinato kale.

    ReplyDelete