January 30, 2012

Linkage: Just Breathe

This afternoon I was on a bus back to NYC* when I experienced pressure in my chest and reflux, probably manifestations of anxiety -- a panic attack?  Of course, this led to my concern about what was happening, which made it worse.   I told myself to relax, and initiated a breathing "meditation," slow, deep breathes in while saying to myself, "I am breathing i-i-i-i-i-n-n-n-n-n-n-n."  A short hold and then slow exhalations through my mouth while thinking, "I am breathing o-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-t."   After a few of these, I realized I no longer felt the anxiety, or reflux.

Mindful breathing to reduce stress and improve health is the new "buzz," but why complain -- the more guidance and exposure we all get to this pill-free therapy, the better!

LINKAGE:




*Dr. C., my GI doctor, told me many New Yorkers have complained about GERD symptoms increasing when they return to the city after being away.   I know what they mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment