December 1, 2011

A Cranky Gerd Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day Dinner, 2011
I am finally back to my usual routine after several days away -- which involved much cooking and eating!  Here are the results of our Thanksgiving Day feast.  I was invited to provide the main course for dinner with J's family, an exciting challenge.  After hearing the robust menu, the family decided to do away with the turkey altogether and, in the end, no one missed it.  (Especially not the turkey…)

Like most people, we ate more than necessary at dinner.  I was prepared to suffer a little for this special occasion, but was surprised that I felt fine after our meal, aside from a slightly "stuffed" feeling.   (In fact, I have had heartburn and overnight reflux the past two nights since my return home, making me wonder if New York City has something to do with it!   I did feel particularly overwhelmed re-entering the city this time.  My GI doctor already suggests the busy metropolitan life as a trigger for me, as it is for many of his patients.)

Our Thanksgiving dishes were cooked simply, with minimal seasonings and no sauces or gravies.  We also avoided salt.  The menu:


VEGETARIAN CASSOULET
ROASTED FINGERLING POTATOES (FROM THE GREENMARKET)
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH (FROM THE GREENMARKET)
CORNBREAD STUFFING
ROLLS
CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH APPLES
PUMPKIN PIE
APPLE PIE 


We started prepping and cooking at 2:30 PM and were ready to eat by 5:15 PM - perfect timing!  Here are photos from the afternoon:


Carrots and leeks getting prepped for the cassoulet.

Cassoulet simmering; cranberry sauce in the background.

Fingerling potatoes and onion just coming out of the oven...

Roasted Brussels sprouts after 2-step method.  Irresistible!  

Pan-sauteed asparagus, olive oil, no butter.

Cranberry sauce with apples.


The finished cassoulet!


I was especially pleased with the cranberry apple sauce -- a hybrid of my mother's recipe and my own recipe-mashing.  I'll post the recipe in a separate entry.

How was your holiday feast, Cranky readers?  Were you able to successfully manage GERD symptoms?  Any tips or suggestions for next year?




1 comment: