September 8, 2011

Heartburn Trigger: Cheese and Large Portions

I need to heed my own advice!  My diet on Wednesday was excellent:

Breakfast - 5:15 AM
1 Wheetabix square
2 tsp bran (to counter the constipative effects of my antibiotics.  grrrrr!)
1/2 C. orange juice
1/4 C. raisins

Lunch -- 1:00 PM
My own lunch concoction made of brown rice leftovers, half can of lentil soup poured over this, and a quarter cup of yellow eyed heirloom beans I had just cooked.   Filling and delicious and nutritious!

Snack -- 2:00 PM
 1/3 C. applesauce

Now it gets ugly.

After a lunch meeting ended, my coworkers and I snacked on the leftovers: baked ziti, salad, garlic bread.  (I bypassed the chicken.)    I was hungry for a snack -- but soon realized this was a mistake on many levels:

 - too rich
-  not vegan (my aspiration)
-  a banana or apple would have probably satisfied me; I did not need to eat all of that

Less than a half hour later, I felt not only disappointed at my lack of control, but heartburn as well.  This was a shearing, burning relentless heartburn that followed me all the way home and through dinner.  What a mess.  I think it was due to eating too much too fast more than the dairy (why don't I get heartburn when eating ice cream?).

Another trigger for your consideration:  deadlines!  I have several, all converging, all equally important.   I can feel myself getting clenched up over this, and no doubt my gut is also getting clenched from the stress…

No comments:

Post a Comment